Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Watcher Chapter 1





 Chapter 1 "My Death and Rebirth"

Driving down the crowded street, the stench of this city in my nose. Looking through the dust caked windows I see a people humbled by war.  Their city ravaged and destroyed. Its so hot out, I feel sweat running down my neck.  Makes my skin chaff under my armor.  Another day in this city so far from home. So far from my family and loved one's.

These days running into each other the same routine.  Wake up,  clean my weapon,  mess and then off on patrol.  The sound of my squad mates a muted buzzing in my ears,  my mind a thousand miles away. Never knowing when which day will be my last.  Today, tomorrow a month from now?  I don't know.  Coming upon an intersection the traffic is suddenly sparse.

I didn't feel it when it happened all I heard was a blast then a soothing blackness enveloped me.  It was like swimming in Flathead at night in the mist of summer.  Comforting in its embrace.

What happened?  Where am I?  Opening my eyes I find myself in a large hallway,  massive in size.  Looking down I see that I no longer have my armor on.  Its been replaced with a robe that feels softer then silk.  The walls of this hallway are covered in pictures,  thousands of pictures.  Walking up to one of the pictures I see myself,  my baby picture.  I'm only a few months old.  Going from picture to picture I see my life unfolding before me.  A snap shot of my life the good and the bad moments its all there.

In every picture lives a memory of me.  If I close my eyes I can feel it,  smell it and taste it.  Each memory a lifetime.  I feel tears running down my cheeks for I know I am longer in the streets of Iraq. I've died.  In an instant it comes back to me. I was killed in a roadside bomb, the blast I felt, that was it. That was my death.

These tears that stream down my cheeks are not tears of regret or tears of sorrow over my death.  They are the tears of longing for my family and loved ones for surely I shall not look upon their faces again nor feel their sweet embraces for a long time to come.

Walking the length of the hall I come to a huge wooden door. Grasping the handle I pull the door open wide.  Ahead of me lies a huge orchard re-resplendent  in the afternoon sun.  Strong and massive tree's loaded with every fruit I could imagine. The breeze upon my face as I step into the orchard.  Listening closely I hear a faint melody,  beautiful in its rhythm, unknown in its lyrics.  I move forward towards the rutted path running through the middle of the orchard my hands running through the green grass with sun warming my body.

Stopping,  I turn my head and take one last look at the great hall with its pictures of my former life. Looking at it,  it slowly dissolves, its colors running together like a child's water painting until it is gone.

I only have the path ahead of me,  behind me is no more.  I continue on my journey sampling the fruit as I go. Such a taste,  each berry,  every apple explodes in my mouth.  With each bite I can feel the fruits of life as it rushes into me nourishing my newly born body.

1 comment:

  1. me too, trying to keep ahead, the past were there to teach us...

    ReplyDelete