Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blood on the door

It started out as any normal day. The buzzing of the alarm and me hitting the snooze button a couple hundred times like usual.Finally I drug myself out of bed and took a shower letting the hot water cascade over my head and shoulders, the heat of the water driving away the cobwebs spun from the long night of sleep.Not being a morning person I never eat breakfast and rarely am I ever hungry in the morning, however something was different this morning. I could feel my stomach turning in on itself threatening to eat its way out!I really was not sure what I wanted to eat, the norm, a sausage biscuit just was not gonna cut it this morning. Luckily right on my way to work there is a great little joint that does an amazing fry bread.Fry bread smothered in honey was exactly what I wanted this morning.

Pulling into the parking lot there are several cars already there, which is not surprising considering that the food is actually quite good.Whenever I come to this place its always like taking a trip down memory lane for me. I can remember coming here when I was in my teens with my mom. It was our place. Something special. Its like I jumped into a time machine and took a step backwards 20 years.I sit in my truck for a few minutes just breathing it in. I can hear her voice, smell the perfume she would wear. I'm pretty sure she had stock of this stuff from every birthday. It was what I got her for each one. She always acted surprised even though she knew what she was getting. God how I miss her.With a sigh I open the door and step out into the crisp march weather. Opening the door to the restaurant I'm overcome with the smells. Pancakes, bacon, sausage, coffee. Its all there.Walking in I step up to the counter and place my order. Knowing its gonna take some time, I mean Rome wasn't built overnight right?? Neither is a good piece of fry bread let me tell!I've been there for maybe ten minutes when he walks in. There was nothing unusual about him at first glance. It was only when he got near that I feel it.Now when I say I could feel it. I mean it was something that tangible.Looking at this guy I feel the negative vibrations exploding from him like explosions.

But it wasn't just that..looking at him was like looking at someones reflection in a mud-puddle. Dark, cloudy,ominous. When he sat down next to me I could feel the air pressure increase. You know on a hot and humid summer day all the sudden a thunderstorm will appear. The air pressure drops and you can literally feel the storm fighting the warm summer day?This is the feeling I got from this guy. Like I was caught in the mists of a gigantic storm threatening to explode. I hoped my fry bread wouldn't be much longer. I wanted away from this guy. Something was gonna happen, something bad.That is when it happened. The storm exploded in a violent rage. In seconds it seemed or minutes its hard to tell anymore. Time is different now then what it used to be.I watched out of the corner of my eye as this guy shifted from looking like a dark, and cloudy mud-puddle to a bright corona of a million different colors.

 In a heartbeat he leapt from his chair moving for the waitress at the register. In that same instant, I knew I had to do something to stop him. It was like time slowed down to a crawl.As the adrenaline shot through my system, I lost any semblance of caution for myself. Having spent several years bouncing and working tour security didn't even have to think about what I was gonna do.I approached this guy from behind as he struggled with the waitress. Grabbing ahold of his waist I picked him off his feet and slammed him to the floor. Struggling to hold him I screamed for someone to call 911!Either no one heard me or they were frozen from fear. As screamed they stood there. Eyes wide and mouths open.If I had a camera and wasn't struggling with this guy I would have taken a picture and sent it into some magazine so people could come up with their own captions To bad though, maybe another day. Even though I had him pinned down he wasn't gonna give up. With a final push of strength he was able to roll over onto his side.

Fearing he was gonna be able to get up here shortly I held on with everything I had."Mother fucker, where are the cops??!" That's all I could think has he struggled. Slipping one arm out he was able to remove something from the pocket of his jacket.I didn't know what it was till I heard the blast and felt a sting in my stomach followed by the most intense pain in my back.I could smell the gunpowder in the air, my ears ringing. I could feel that my stomach was soaked. I moved my hand down to my stomach and looked at it. It was a shiny bright red, the reddest shade of red I've ever seen.All I could think of was "is my blood really that red, shit that can't be good."I half fell half crawled off this guy. I could faintly hear a dripping sound as my blood it the tiled floor.

I tried to stand up, but it was like my legs had go on strike. They were telling me to take this job and shove it.So walking being out of the question I crawled to the door. My vision fading in out, (must be because all my blood is gushing out of the gun shot wounds.) 2 more feet and I'm at the door. Finally my legs decide to start working. I'm able to pull my self up to a standing position. Pulling up my shirt I look at the hole in my stomach. The edges a charged black, like a steak left on the grill for too long.Reaching down I place my hand over the wound to staunch the river of blood. Pushing into the wound I feel something tickling my palm. Pulling my hand away I see something pink and wet looking slowly starting to emerge from the wound. Feeling faint I slide down the door till I hit the floor, back to the door.Its getting tough to breath. My vision is almost tunnel like. I can't just sit here, I've got to do something or I'm dead. My strength almost gone I reach up to grab the door handle.

My hand grazes it. Not strong enough to grab the handle my hand hits the glass door. Leaving a bloody handprint and a smear of blood down the glass I fall down and roll onto my side.The last thought to enter my mind is "will this be the enduring legacy I leave behind? A bloody hand print on a glass door?"

Then the tunnel closes for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment