Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Mirror

Wiping the steam from the mirror I look at my reflection.
After all these years I still see a stranger looking back at me.
Who am I?
What am I?
I've looked for the answers unable to find them I continue on this path.
I knew once who I was with absolute certainty.
I've been to rock bottom and soared with the clouds.
I've sat on the edge of a three thousand foot cliff with my feet dangling in the breeze looking at the valley below me trying to find a definition to my life.
The mirror reflects the ghosts of my past.
All the roads I could have taken but didn't.
I see happiness mixed with sorrow, elation with dread.
All partners in that inexplicable dance of life.
I see that little boy I once was so full of life with nothing but his future ahead of him.
Now when I wipe the steam from the mirror I don't see that little boy anymore, I see my little boy as the infant he is turning into the man he will be.
No longer are there the roads I should have taken now I see that no matter what road I took they all led to him.
No longer do I look for the answer to who I am.
I've been given that answer; I'm a father now.
My choices will define his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment